Have any questions? TELL US

Welcome to Human Resources!  This page provides you with information related to your employment with the district.  Please take a moment to review these documents carefully and contact us with any questions or comments at (734) 532-1663.

What Do You Contact HR for:

  • Absences of 5 or more consecutive days
  • Birth of a Child
  • Certification Issues
  • Change of Address, Phone, Name
  • Credit Hours beyond BA/MA
  • Experience Reports
  • Fingerprints
  • FMLA Requests
  • Highly Qualified Status
  • Leave Requests (Short & Long Term)
  • Master's Degree credit
  • Maternity Leaves
  • Return to Work Notes
  • Student Teachers
  • Transcript Issues
  • Transfer Requests

School Safety:

The State of Michigan "School Safety" legislation (2005 PA 129-131 and 138) recently enacted into law, has an impact on your employment with the school district. Employees convicted of any felony or a misdemeanor from the lists below must notify the Human Resources Department of their conviction (even if noted on your employment application).

After January 1, 2006, the new law requires you, as an employee of the district/school to self-report to your employer and the Michigan Department of Education when you have been arraigned/charged with certain identified crimes. (See the listing in Exhibit B). You must do so within three business days of arraignment or you will be guilty of an additional crime. The Human Resources Department can provide the reporting form. This information is confidential and protected with legislative criminal penalties for inappropriate disclosure.

The law now prohibits a school district from employing, in any capacity, a person convicted of a listed offense, (see the listing in Exhibit A). Individuals currently employed by a school district, who are on the sex offenders registry, must be dismissed from employment.

Detailed information regarding this new "School Safety" legislation may be found at the following website:  http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7-140-6530_5683_39798---,00.html

School Safety Legislation Exhibit A

School Safety Legislation Exhibit B

Non-paid, classroom volunteers do not need to be fingerprinted but do need to complete the Volunteer Consent Form found here.  The completed form is to be returned to the main office at the school building. 

At Will Employment:

Except as otherwise provided by an employee’s collective bargaining agreement or individual contract, employment between an employee and Romulus Community Schools is on an at-will basis. This means that the employee is free to resign his/her employment at any time, for any reason, and Romulus Community Schools retains that same right. No individual supervisor, manager or officer can make a contrary agreement, except for the Superintendent, and even then, such an agreement must be set forth in a written employment contract with the employee, signed by the Superintendent.

Board Policies, Regulations and Staff Handbook:

All employees of Romulus Community Schools are required to abide by the policies and regulations of the Board of Education. Copies of these policies and regulations are kept in the main office of all school buildings, the Superintendent’s office, and Human Resource office. They are also located on the District web site <Link to Board Policies on Website>

Also, please review the Staff Handbook by clicking on the link below.  If you would like a hard copy, please contact Human Resources at (734) 532-1663.

Staff Handbook 2015-2016


Effective January 1, 2006, the State of Michigan mandated that fingerprints and criminal background checks be secured for all current and new employees of Michigan Public Schools. Schools must secure fingerprints and request criminal background checks for all covered individuals on or before July 1, 2008. Schools are prohibited from allowing covered individuals who are convicted of "listed offenses" to work under contract in any school. Fingerprints are done through L-1 Identity Solutions.  See L-1 Identity Solutions website for more information.

Workers’ Compensation

Workers’ Compensation is the system used to provide wage replacement, medical and rehabilitation benefits to men and women who are injured while at work. Report injury to supervisor immediately, if medical treatment is needed, you must obtain an Employee Accident Form forms from school office, signed by supervisor or authorized person. You must contact Human Resources immediately for authorization for treatment at the approved clinic if medical treatment is needed.  All injuries/accidents must be reported to HR as soon as the incident occurs and appropriate medical treatment has been received.